Flanagan’s Irish Pub & Restaurant is Located in the Heart of Beautiful Park City, Utah on Historic Main Street
A true locals’ pub where family and friends gather for great food, good times and live music in a warm and comfortable environment. Everyone feels right at home at Flanagan’s!
We offer authentic Irish fayre, premium beers and spirits. With menu selections ranging from traditional Fish N’ Chips, Shepherd’s Pie, Bangers’ n’ Mash and Corned Beef & Cabbage to delicious Salads, Sandwiches and Burgers. Our signature Corned Beef Sandwich is one of a kind; and no trip to Park City is complete without a stop at Flanagan’s for our famous Irish Coffee with home-made whipped cream.
As It Gets
We also feature Guinness Draught as one of our premium beers on tap, and specialize in pouring the “Perfect Pint”, ensuring every Guinness is poured to our standards and always served in the Imperial 20 oz glass.
Flanagan’s has a full selection of Irish Whiskey, including Jameson, Jameson 1780, Bushmills, Bushmills Black Bush and Middleton Very Rare just to name a few!
Flanagan’s interior was hand-crafted and designed to recreate a small cottage pub. With dark wooden floors and authentic Irish furnishings guests can enjoy an excellent dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere.
Irish Pubs named “Flanagan’s” may be run-of-the-mill, but the story behind Flanagan’s On Main is anything but. The history of Flanagan’s On Main is coincidental to the history of Park City’s past and is curiously linked to the owner’s family.
The story begins in the early 1900’s when a troubled young lad by the name Charles Kenworthy traded in his unhappy home life for that of a hobo, traveling the rails to wherever the train tracks led. Concerned for the young boy’s well-being (and their own liability) the Union Pacific railroad management couldn’t manage to outsmart the wily and nimble Kenworthy to keep him off the dangerous rail lines.
Around this same time, a Catholic priest in Omaha by the name of Father Flanagan was trying to start an orphanage for boys. While the Catholic Church did little to support Flanagan’s effort, the railroad heard of his endeavors and offered to secure financial support for the orphanage if Flanagan could prove himself through the reform of Kenworthy. Flanagan was successful in Kenworthy’s remediation and young Kenworthy became “The Boy Orator.” His heartfelt speeches were so effective that even though the entire country was suffering economic distress, The Boy Orator’s pleas unloosed tight purse strings for Flanagan’s mission – no small feat during the Great Depression.
Kenworthy and the troop of young boy performers traveled the country generating publicity and filling the coffers for Boys Town; they stopped in Park City annually over the years. Rumor has it that the Park City miners, saloon keepers and ladies of ill-repute were quite good to the boys during their stays. Grandson John Kenworthy remembers with a smile a few stories his grandfather told him over the years about his experiences here. During one trip, they ended up leaving with an extra boy from Park City who was given to them by a woman who didn’t feel he was being cared for properly by his single, miner father.
John Kenworthy, owner of Flanagan’s on Main, sure is grateful for Father Flanagan. He credits Flanagan’s work with his very existence. Charles Kenworthy continued to work with Father Flanagan well through adulthood. When Hollywood picked up on Flanagan’s story and wanted to recreate a film based on Boys Town, Charlie Kenworthy moved his family to LA to oversee the production of the film.
Read more about Kenworthy and Flanagan’s story in the January 4, 2014 issue of our local newspaper, The Park Record. Please stop by and take a look at some of the artifacts John has gathered over the years.